Friday, April 15, 2016

Needs vs. Wants

Since I’ve been unemployed, I feel really guilty about buying things that are ‘wants’ more than ‘needs’. I think I can live a much simpler and organized life if I can stick to just ‘needs’. How do you curtail your ‘wants’?

And there are things that sort of come in-between ‘wants’ and ‘needs’. Like a 2 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup. I have a 1 cup one. I bought a 2 cup plastic one but found that it isn’t accurate. I could have kept using just the one cup. But a 2 cup one makes cooking ‘easier’. I can even break an egg in a 2 cup, beat it with a small beater in the cup, then put a cup or more of other liquid ingredients and adjust if necessary (when the egg turns out to be less than 1/4 cup).

Another thing that I consider as in-between ‘wants’ and ‘needs’ is pierces. I might find maybe a pair of pierce that I like once a year. I don’t go hunting for them so when I find one it’s a serendipitous encounter that I might not be able to reproduce (like finding one at a travel destination). If I don't get it then, I might never be able to get the exact one. A pierce can elevate my mood. It’s not a necessity but has benefits to my well being.

                                        VS.
                                     (By Dana Payne & By Pål Berge from Bryne, Norway, via Wikimedia Commons)

Things that are ‘wants’ are books, music, rarely a piece of clothing (ex., a Denver Bronchos Super Bowl championship sweatshirt when I already have enough sweatshirts).


Maybe I need to have a budget for my ‘wants’? Maybe I should decide how often I can purchase from my ‘wants’ list?





I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In March I’ve made:

Irish Brown Bread: so far the best recipe I’ve tried for Irish brown bread.
Irish Butter Cookies: Nutty, Buttery, and crispy

No comments:

Post a Comment