Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Depression and Memory

One thing I really worry about my depression is it’s effect on my memory. I can’t remember a lot of things and I don’t know if it’s normal or it’s because of my depression.

When I was a child (well, now too), I was a fan of Sherlock Holmes. I read in one of his stories that he has a good memory of what he’s interested in but doesn’t bother remember things he considered unworthy of remembering. I thought that was cool (don’t ask me why). But at the time, for a while, I remember deciding what information is important and what’s not important enough for me to remember. I don’t remember what exactly I thought was worthless. That could have a long effect, too.

Like if I was asked what was on the school entrance exam one year later, I can't recall. I can’t remember who the culprit was in mysteries that I’ve only read once. I can’t recall a lot of things that I did during international vacations (which I’d think are impressionable). 

By Doctor Jana, via Wikimedia Commons


I feel like my brain is a sieve. Because depression is one of the risk for having dementia, it’s really scary. I hope I can leave this world before I lose my mind totally. Am I a coward?

No comments:

Post a Comment