Friday, January 1, 2016

Why Do You Have/Own a Dog?

This is a question I want to pose to some of my neighbors. Are some of the dogs just guard dogs? Are they like ornaments of the yard?

I know there are variety of reasons to have a dog. I shouldn’t be judgmental because what life I give my dog may not be for his best interest, or his liking, or the best life he can have. But…

One neighbor has a dog without collar running around freely. She is quiet, hardly barks. I’ve seen the inhabitants of the house come home in a car few times. The dog runs to them but I’ve never seen on those occasions, them petting her or talking to her. Then, they got another dog, a smaller one. This guy has a collar and spends most of his time inside the house. I don’t like seeing dogs being treated differently.

There is a house with two dachshunds in the yard. They are outside even when there’s frost on the ground (here it doesn’t snow). And I’m sure there are kept outside all day because I see them around 6 am and 8 pm. Aren’t those lap dogs to be kept in the house?

A black lab kept out alone in the yard. Wait, aren’t labs known for friendliness and playfulness? Why is it out there at all times? Didn’t the owner get it for companionship?

This is the one of the most puzzling and distressing situation: a neighbor has at least 3, if not 4 medium sized dogs in their back yard. Each is kept in their, maybe 4’x3’ cage. The only time I’ve seen them out in the general back yard area is when the owner is spraying water to the concrete floor of the cages for cleaning. 

By Richard Ansdell - The Gamekeeper


These are just examples of what I see that frustrates me. On the other hand, there are dogs in our neighborhood who seem to be getting good care, too.

Also, leash law seems to mean nothing here. My husband several years ago was bitten by a dog, called animal control, and had to get rabies prophylactic treatment because the dog was not vaccinated. And in the past year, my dog and I have been each bitten by different dogs on different occasions. It’s not the dogs’ fault. It’s the owners’ fault. They just let them run around all day long. And most of them seemed not be be spayed because female dogs get pregnant sooner or later and have puppies that don't look like them. It's a bad situation.




I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the past few days I’ve made:

Dan Dan Noodles: Vegetarian version with delicate taste. 

Wild BlackBerry Lemon Quick Bread: My husband likes black berries and this recipe was approved by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment