Friday, January 29, 2016

Meal Plans Do Really Help

I’ve never really had a meal plan. I couldn’t think of planning a meal a head of time and shopping based on it. My thought was, ‘I buy what’s on sale, what looks good and buy so how can I plan ahead?’



But I was wrong. I can still do what I do and still use a meal plan. A lot of times vegetables, proteins, and starches are swappable. 

And a great benefit of meal planning that I found: I use ingredients a lot more timely. It used to be that I might buy an ingredient and let them just sit in the fridge or cabinet and forget to use them for months on end. Now if I buy an ingredient that looked good and was on sale but not on my list, I can go ahead and plan a meal using it, for maybe the week after or even next month.

The result, an organized shelves. There are less ‘stuff’. I can see what is leftover = I’ll be able to plan and use whatever that exists = Less waste.

Another benefit: I cook a little more. Some days, it used to be that I came home tired from work and having to think of dinner was just a drag. It was easy to rely on frozen pizzas and take-outs. Now I can plan ahead and do somethings ahead (like cutting vegetables or cooking the protein). Just knowing what I needed to do to prepare for dinner just makes me that much ready to cook, too.




I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the past few days I’ve made:
Swedish Meatballs: Kind of like stroganoff. 

Big Sur Carrot Tangerine Bread: With also nuts in it, it felt pretty healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment