Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Depression and Bing Eating

I’ve lost about 10 lbs in the past two years. Did I go on a diet? No. Did I increase my activity level? No.

As the title probably cued you, I used to binge eat. I don’t remember when I started doing it. I know I definitely was doing it when I started living on my own. I would buy tons of snacks and eat till I’m physically uncomfortable. 

I used to go to the gym because I loved to swim and my employer offered it as part of the benefits. When I’d go, I’d always swim 1 kilometer or just over a thousand yards. I just loved to swim. I went when I could and I think I went at least twice a week. But that did not lead to a weight loss. Because of my regular binge-eating.

In those days, I don’t think I even wondered why I binge eat. I just did. When I felt the urge I just went to buy whatever I wanted to.

Even after I got married, it continued. While my husband was at work, I’d go to grocery stores, pharmacy, or gas station to get snacks.

By Maria Raquel Cochez (own work) via Wikimedia Commons


But when I started therapy for depression, something changed. Without trying to do so, unconsciously, I lost the pounds. I just don’t feel the urge to binge-eat as much. I would confess that their are times that I eat a little more than I should behind my husband’s back. But a lot less than I used to and very infrequently. And now I know that I eat when I am stressed out about something.

I’m not quite sure if it’s simply because I’m less depressed. It could also be that I’m now able to acknowledge my emotions more and deal with it instead of just bottling them up. Or it could be both.





I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the past few days I’ve made:

Twisted Almond and Nutella Bread Loaf: Easier to make then I thought it would be and tasty.
Grilled Marinated Pork: Great spice combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment