Wednesday, December 16, 2015

What if…. Triggering Depression

What if I chose the right coping mechanism…
What if I went on believing people….
What if I chose not to bottle up all the feelings …..

I’m just going to cite the Mayo Clinic website: We don’t exactly know what causes depression. Most think that it is a combination of biology (genetics, hormones, brain construct, etc) and environmental trigger factors such as illness, abuse, death of loved ones.

As far as I know, the only person in my relatives who had depression was a cousin of my mother. It’a tenuous connection at best. But I’m pretty sure what had triggered it. I’d say it was pretty much self-inflicted.

In my early teens I had a troubling episode in school. I wasn’t outright bullied. But I did let myself get manipulated and I listened in disbelief to the comments around me after the incident. But more than anything I’m ashamed of myself enough that I still don’t want to talk about the incident.

German_-_Maximilian_Armor_-_Walters_51584_-_Detail_B
The outcome was that I decided that I’m not going to let anyone manipulate me anymore. I decided not to talk about myself much. I decided that I wouldn’t show much emotions. The less information I give out about myself, the less chances that people will use it to take the upper hand, was my idea. I built walls around me.


I even went one step further. I thought, if I become a logical person and rejected emotions, I’ll be strong enough not to be taken advantage of.

I can probably praise myself for being so efficient, so strong enough to do that (I’m saying this with a wry smile). I wasn’t going to be afraid of being alone. I did have a relatively safe home environment to fall back on.

So I bottled up all the emotions. You can see how a person can get depressed?

So what if I didn’t chose such a coping mechanism?

But, hind-sight is 20/20. Would people suffer less from depression if they were told that thinking positively is the way to go when they were young? Can we train people to think positively, use good coping mechanisms to deal with troubled situations from the time when they are young?



I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the last few days I've made:

Strawberry Pecan Bread: fluffy and fragrant. Can taste the strawberries well. Using almond extract in a pecan bread was a twist but it worked well.

Pork with Peppers and Greens: this is a one pan meal that’s quick and easy to put together. Seasoned with herbs and eaten with Turkish Almond Sauce, it’s very good. I’ve done this multiple times.


No comments:

Post a Comment