Thursday, December 31, 2015

Neuroplasticity - How much can you change your brain?

Have you heard of the word ‘neuroplasticity’? It used to be believed that once the brain develops in childhood, you maintain that same brain (thought process, etc) for the rest of your life without much change. Now it’s believed that the brain can be changed, grow new brain cells even after you grow up.



By training, it is thought that the neurons in the brain can form new connections. This is significant in the sense that people with brain injury or stroke MAY be able to relearn and adapt to the injury to a certain extent (most likely not totally recover). The word and concept of neuroplasticity have been around a while but there are still a lot that is unknown. What training, at what time, and how much, are still unknown and are investigated using rats and monkeys. ()

Currently, scientists are trying to figure out how trauma rewires the brain in hopes of finding a way to treat PTSD . Clinical trials are done for ADHD and depression. And I’m sure there are more application.

It’s still new science. So we don’t know how much this science can actually work. There is some suggestion based on rat studies that training at wrong time may actually make things worse. But it’s an exciting field.







I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the past few days I’ve made:
Peruvian Roast Chicken: A simple but flavorful dish

New York Pretzels: My husband like pretzel dogs. So I use this recipe each time I make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment