Friday, December 18, 2015

Arthritis - Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Last spring, we saw him limping every time he stood up after sleeping in one position, our dog, that is. Since glucosamine/chondroitin is said to work on ‘some’ people who have mild to moderate arthritis, we started giving him treats with them in it. It seemed to work. We haven’t seen him limp for about a year and a half.

But recently it started back again. I think it partially has to do with the fact that because it is winter, when he sleeps, he curls up instead of stretching out. But what puzzles me that he always has trouble with his right leg, yet I find him a lot of times on his right side. Is it like humans who have a favorite sleeping position?

LeftHumanPosteriorDistalHumerusExtended
Anyway, one day I found myself going to the grocery store and getting ‘human’ glucosamine/chondroitin tablets and a pill crusher. I always wondered how much the treats actually include. I’ve heard of other people using the treats and now I see more brands with them. But quantity of the substances are never labeled. And with all these companies making similar products, I wondered if some were not actually truthful in their claims. Therefore I thought I’d try him on human ones. They at least have the quantity indicated. And I bought one from a brand that I trust. 

The next morning, I found myself taking his bed apart and stuffing it with more cotton. He actually has two beds. I bought a bed with cushion walls on three sides first. Although the construction itself looked sturdy, it did not have enough cushion. So I ended up getting an orthopedic flat cushion and laying that in the former. But now when I checked, cotton in the walled cushion had flattened and shifted away from the place he always puts his weight on. So I took out three lines of stitches, padded the bed with a lot more cotton, and put three lines of stitches back in. It took me until mid afternoon.

Then it later dawned on me. ALL animals get joint problems as they age. It is inevitable. I maybe able to slow the process down a bit but at one point, I’m going to have to give up and accept that he is going to have joint problems.                            



But until then…….., at least I’m going to keep trying the human supplement for about 2 weeks. Am I a silly ‘mom’ for doing all this? But he is my ‘baby’.





I cook most of the meals but I don’t create recipes. I rely on recipes on the web and books. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m  posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.
In the past few days I’ve made:

Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze: My husband is a red velvet cake fan

The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls Eve: Took this to a Christmas lunch party

No comments:

Post a Comment