Friday, November 27, 2015

Thanksgiving Depression



Depression just hit me the day before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I was able to come out of it by the evening of Thanksgiving day.

Looking back, I probably started getting depressed in my teens. Certain things might be hard-wired by now. I’ve done cognitive behavioral therapy: to change negative thoughts into positive. But getting treatment this late might mean that it takes more effort to change things. And most of the time, it’s not about if I have negative thoughts or not. I just can’t get myself enthusiastic about anything. I just feel like crying for no reason.



Since I started getting treatment several years ago, I’ve been able to more and more recognize when I am depressed. It used to be that I only realized that I was ‘down’ when I came back up to my ‘normal’ level of mood. But noticing depression hasn’t made dealing with it much easier. I just can’t seem to shake it off. Sure, website and books tell me to do certain things when I’m depressed -

Exercise on regular bases, go outside: I walk my dog three times a day which could total up to 2 hours a day.

Eat healthy: I cook most of my meals and make sure it has tons of vegetables, good protein, and reasonable amount of starch.

Take enough sleep: I love to sleep. I take around 8 hours and I rarely let it be compromised by something other activity.

Listen to music: I turn my stereo on when I’m driving and listen on a regular bases.

Be social: I have social anxiety disorder. Going out to a party is a stress.

Do what you like to do: If I felt like doing something, I wouldn’t be depressed.

Keep moving: I’ve tried. I’ve made lists of small tasks, checked each things off as I go. But on a depressed day, I don’t feel any contentment or sense of accomplishment.

Sometimes it’s just hard. Getting depressed just a day before Thanksgiving really sucks. I had plans and was imaging a great day on Thanksgiving.



I don’t create recipes. I’ll usually look up couple of recipes on the web, pick one, and cook. I might increase oil or sugar but that’s about all I do. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m going to start posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.

In the past few days I’ve made: 


Turkey Meatloaf: my husband wanted something ‘different’ from usual for this Thanksgiving. It was surprisingly good.
Rosemary Roasted Beets and Carrots: I love beets but was worried that my husband might get sick and tired of beet salad. This was a nice change and my husband loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment