Friday, November 20, 2015

Cooking = Hobby or Cooking = Chore?

Do you cook because you like to, or do you cook because it’s part of housekeeping? This questions has been frequently on my mind recently. Well, the exact question I’m asking myself is ‘do I like cooking?’ Part of the reason is probably because I see so many food blogs. Every one of the author ‘likes’ or ‘loves’ to cook. The other reason is I sometimes don’t feel like it.

My husband and I both grew up with a stay-at-home mother. Hence we are used to eating homemade food. We learned basic cooking skills as we grew up.

Once I started living alone, I mostly cooked. Because it’s more economical, I’d be able to eat what I want, and I thought I should. Once he started college, my husband was in a co-op living with 3 other people and did cook.

Now, I cook most days. I also bake sandwich breads for most weeks. On weekends, I make pancakes, muffin, quick bread, and scones.

When we go out, for me, it’s because I’m tired of cooking, not because I want to eat a specific dish in a specific restaurant. For my husband, pretty much the only reason he eats out is, because I begged off cooking that night.

I’m grateful that my husband grew up like me and appreciate homemade food. But it does become a pressure to ‘deliver’. 

And that might be the exact reason I started seeing cooking more as a chore, instead of an exciting endeavor. Reading Julie Wunder’s post ‘Do More of What Makes You Happy!’ reminded me that I actually LOVE to bake. I’m not saying that I’m good, I’m not creative enough to come up with a recipe, but each time I put something in the oven, I can’t wait for it to come out, hoping that whatever I put in has risen/puffed up. That is even if I’ve made the recipe multiple times. 
So I am going to try to look at cooking as something I want to do. It may not become a hobby, but at least I won’t feel burdened.

What part of cooking do you like? What makes you cooking everyday?



As I mentioned, I don’t create recipes. I’ll usually look up couple of recipes on the web, pick one, and cook. I might decrease oil or sugar but that’s about all I do. So to pay tribute to all the food bloggers and people who contribute recipes out there, I’m going to start posting recipes that I’ve recently tried and liked.

In the past few days I’ve made:

Amish White Bread: really flavorful and soft
Ukrainian Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup: I was hesitant because I’m not a big fan of sweet and sour pork but this was good 

No comments:

Post a Comment